IÑIGO: First Year Experience
Through intentional initiatives designed to engage first year students with one another and with the University as a whole, the Iñigo First Year Experience is the launching pad for a successful college experience at Saint Joseph’s University. The ultimate goal of the program is to create a sense of belonging for all first year students while exposing them to the timehonored ideals of a Jesuit education that are known around the world.
Iñigo was the baptismal name of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits). The First Year Experience at Saint Joseph’s University is inspired by Iñigo’s decision to enter into a new educational experience that transformed his life, demonstrated his talents and offered him new directions to live a greater, deeper life.
In. I. Go. — As a student embarking on a new journey at Saint Joseph’s University, the Iñigo First Year Experience is focused on helping you transform from an individual undergraduate into a member of the greater community of men and women with and for others.
Students Offering Advice and Resources (SOAR)
The purpose of SOAR is to provide an open dialogue between Saint Joseph's University students. SOAR mentors offer conversation and advice on matters such as adjusting to life on campus, navigating roommate troubles, overcoming academic difficulty, as well as addressing any other student concerns. Recommended as part of the First Year Experience, SOAR may provide the foundation for a successful college career while maintaining lasting connections.
Interested in meeting with a SOAR mentor? Please fill out the intake form below and you will be contacted soon with your mentor match. Mentee/student applications are accepted at all times. For any questions, please email SOAR@sju.edu.
- THWND – The Hawk Will Never Die.
- The Nest – An online portal where you can access email, course information, campus announcements, account information and more.
- BEAGLE – Biology Experience Aimed at Growth, Learning and Excellence, an early arrival program.
- PSIP (Philadelphia Service Immersion Program) – Optional community service program in Philadelphia for incoming first-year students. PSIP occurs immediately prior to the beginning of fall classes.
- Hawk Wrap – Signature lunch menu item in the cafeteria.
- Hawk Hill – A reference to SJU’s campus, which was built on a hilltop perch overlooking downtown Philadelphia.
- Hawk Hill Productions – A student-centered organization that plans a series of diverse cultural, recreational, social, educational and entertainment programs throughout the year.
- Spark - An overnight retreat led by upper class students, giving new students a chance to meet new people from all over campus, find opportunities to get involved in the life of the university community and chart a path to your future.