Open Room Change Process
The resources found on this page will provide guidance on how to request a room change, room change options that are available to you and potential costs involved in changing rooms.
Room Change Process
We currently have limited availability on campus to accommodate room changes. Students who are interested in a different room should fill out a Room Change Interest Form which can be found on the housing portal (available on Tuesday, September 5th). Residence life staff will review available spaces and will notify you or your group if there are available spaces that match your interest. Please note that due to limited open spaces during this time, we may not be able to accommodate all requests.
Requesting a Room Change in the Housing Portal
- Log into the Nest (nest.sju.edu) and click the “Student” link in the upper-right corner.
- Under the "Student Services & Resources" section at the bottom of the page, find "Housing & Dining Services."
- Click on the "Housing Application" link to access the Housing Portal.
- Within the Portal, click on the "Available Forms" link in the red menu at the top of the page.
- Select the “Room Change Interest” link and then click the “Select” button next to your spring housing assignment.
- Fill in your room change request information and click “Save & Continue.”
Room Change Timeline
- Tuesday, September 5th - Room Change Interest Form becomes available
- Monday, September 11th - Room Change Offers sent via email if availability exists
- Friday, October 6th - Room Change Interest Form closes
Types of Room Change Requests
If you know of a vacancy in a room or apartment and have an interest in filling that space with the current resident, you must still fill out the request form in the housing portal. All current residents in the space you are requesting will receive communication from our office after receiving the request. Our office will work with these cases on an individual basis in an attempt to satisfy the amicable request. Please note that completing this process does not guarantee placement into the desired space.
Reassignment of an Individual (1 person):
Only one housing reassignment offer will be made to a participant who fills out an interest form. If the participant on the interest form does not wish to accept an offer made for reassignment but wishes to keep their request on file, they may do so knowing that another offer may not be extended.
*There are no single rooms available for students at this time. Any student who fills out the individual housing interest section will be placed with another student into a space.
Reassignment of a Group (2 or more people):
Should multiple persons wish to be considered for a group reassignment, they may submit a room change request as a group. Only one housing reassignment offer will be made to a group. If the group does not wish to accept an offer made for reassignment but wishes to keep their request on file, they may do so knowing that another offer may not be extended.
Request A Random Roommate: If you currently have a vacancy in your room or apartment and would like to have a roommate, please send an email to email@example.com and we will work to place a roommate with you.
Students Who Have a Current Vacancy
Per the Housing Agreement, the Office of Residence Life reserves the right to assign new roommates to any vacancies through the room change process. Students with a vacancy may request another known student to fill a vacancy through the Room Change Request Form on the Housing Portal. Students will be notified via email if a new roommate is being assigned to a vacancy in their assigned room/apartment. We are not actively seeking to fill every vacancy, but our campus needs may change during the fall semester. You will receive an email notifying you when a new roommate is assigned. Once a student has been assigned to this vacancy, you may view the new roommate information within the housing portal in the Nest.
Roommate Conflict Resources
Please remember that your RA and Residential Area Manager (RAM) are also available to assist you in making your current living situation as comfortable as possible. If you are experiencing a roommate conflict, please seek out your RA or RAM for assistance with this situation. They can help to mediate many situations, providing you an opportunity to remain in your current room assignment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I guaranteed a room change if I complete the Room Change Interest Form?
- Unfortunately, we may not have availability to accommodate all submissions. We will work to provide alternative options in the event that a first choice is not available, however, we encourage students to utilize their RA to maximize their experience in their current space.
Will my housing charges change if I accept a room change?
- Students who complete a room change will be billed on a pro-rated basis for the dates that they are in each specific location. Housing Rates can be found HERE.
Can I decline a room change offer?
- When offered, students have the option to accept or decline a room change. If a room change is accepted and a student later changes their mind, they can submit an additional request on the Room Change Interest Form.
My friend doesn't have a roommate - Can I move in with them?
- YES! This is what we call an "Amicable Roommate Request." Submit your request through the Room Change Interest Form and provide the information about this known vacancy. Residence Life will reach out to the current resident(s) to confirm this is an agreeable request. If confirmation is received, we can proceed with approving this room change.
Can I trade spaces with someone?
- Yes, but it is important that all impacted residents (including all roommates) agree to this switch. We will ask all students to email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm their agreement with this change.