Pathways to Medical Professions
The Pathways to Medical Professions program is designed to prepare biology majors for careers in health care. It is intended to supplement their undergraduate work each semester the students are involved with the program.
Students have the flexibility to customize the program around specific career goals, such as medical doctor, nurse, physician assistant, dentist, physical therapist and veterinarian. This will be accomplished by participating in and reflecting on activities related to the following categories:
- Professional development
- Service outreach
- Clinical shadowing
- Research (basic or clinical)
- Medical ethics
The program is a collaboration between the following departments:
- Department of Biology
- Career Development Center
- Institute of Clinical Bioethics
- SJU Medical Alumni
- Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC)
- Lankenau Medical Center
Some benefits of this program include:
- Direct communications about activities centered around the five categories listed above.
- Access to networking events with SJU medical alumni and practicing health care professionals.
- Guidance from faculty mentors and SJU alumni.
- Periodic guided reflections to aid students in their personal statement and interviewing skills.
- A platform to determine which aspects of health care are most suited to each student.
How to Apply
Please contact Matthew Nelson, Ph.D. for more information.