Federal Work Study
What is Federal Work Study?
The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program provides eligible students with employment during the academic year and in some cases, summer. Undergraduate, full-time day students and eligible adult learners who demonstrate financial need, as determined by the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) may be awarded Federal Work Study. If a student qualifies, based on financial need, Federal Work Study will be included in the student’s financial aid package. Awards go up to $2,500 per year. Please note, students may not work under the Federal Work Study Program while they are studying abroad. In addition, students cannot be paid under the Federal Work Study Program for assisting a professor with their class while simultaneously earning academic credit for that same course during the same semester.
Students can work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year and, in some cases, 35 hours per week during the summer. Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis (every two weeks) for the hours worked for the previous two weeks. Participating in Federal Work Study, for those that are awarded it, is purely optional and not required. Work study earnings are not deducted from or applied to the student’s tuition bill, but students are directly paid for the hours they work. Their pay is deposited into a bank account the student has assigned when completing new employee paperwork. The minimum hourly rate paid is $8.50 per hour. Some rates will be higher depending upon the type of work performed and the skills required. Pay rates are recommended by the employing department & approved by the Financial Aid Office.
Federal Work Study awards are made annually, for that specific award period. Students that are close to exhausting their award but would like to continue working may contact the Financial Aid Office in writing at email@example.com to request an increase in FWS funds. Due to funding limitations and job availability, Saint Joseph’s University cannot guarantee job placement or award increases for all eligible applicants. Additionally, students that are awarded Federal Work Study must accept their award in The Nest.
Federal Work Study jobs are not guaranteed. Eligible students may apply for jobs available via Handshake. Additionally, federal work study awards are dependent on the availability of funding and may be withdrawn or subject to change depending on this availability. Any financial aid package can be adjusted at any time according to federal and institutional regulations.
What is the Process?
Returning Federal Work Study-Eligible Students:
- If you are returning to the same work study position as last year, please contact your supervisor so they may start the rehiring process.
- If you are starting employment with a new department, follow the new work study student steps below.
New Federal Work Study-Eligible Students:
- Apply online using Handshake or visit the office in which you are interested in working.
- Follow up directly with each department where you submitted a resume as many departments don’t communicate with applicants after positions are filled.
- Once you have arranged for a position, your supervisor will submit hiring particulars to the Payroll Office. If you have never worked for Saint Joseph’s University, you must complete additional forms that are available in the Payroll Office during the designated hours of 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- You must present identification from List A or from List B AND List C, which is included in the I9 Form Employment Eligibility Verification, in the Payroll office on or before your first day of employment. The Payroll Office is located in St. Mary's Hall, behind McShain Hall.
You must complete these steps before reporting to work. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the cancellation of the work study award.
How Do I Submit My Hours I Worked?
The student will receive payment directly from the University every two weeks. This payment will be directly deposited into a personal checking or savings account designated by the student.
Steps for Submitting Hours – Work Study:
- Log into The Nest
- On the upper right hand side, select the correct pay period
- Select “Enter hours” and input hours (decimals are valid inputs) and click “save”
- Be sure to not submit until the end of the pay period
- To access the second week of the pay period, click “next”
- When all hours for the biweekly pay period are completed, click “submit for approval”