International Undergraduate Applicants
If you need an I-20 Student Visa, we’ll send you step-by-step instructions on how to apply for one after you confirm enrollment. Keep in mind that you cannot apply for your visa more than 120 days before your program start date. You can learn more about visas here.
Required Materials for International Students
Submit these supplemental materials, plus any optional materials, in time for us to receive them by the application deadline for which you are applying.
If transcripts are in a language other than English, please submit a notarized translation. We will not accept scanned or emailed copies.
- High School Transcripts: Official high school transcripts or copies certified by your high school or EducationUSA Center. Provide any national testing results, diplomas and/or certificates (e.g. GSCE, IGSCE, A Levels, CAPE, WAEC).
- University or Post-Secondary Transcripts: Submit official community college or university transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Provide course syllabi or descriptions for every university course.
- Credential Evaluation: Transcripts from post-secondary institutions outside the United States must undergo a course-by-course evaluation conducted by an independent credential evaluation agency. These agencies must be members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Students attending U.S. schools abroad or international schools following a U.S. curriculum abroad do not need to submit a credential evaluation; other exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Saint Joseph’s University receives the majority of credential evaluations through NACES members including World Education Services, Inc. (WES), Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or Span Tran. Other Credential Evaluations will be accepted if accredited through NACES.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Certificate of Finances
Optional materials for first-year and transfer students include:
- ACT or SAT scores, which must be sent directly from the testing agency. SAT scores will be super-scored; we'll take your highest composite ACT score.
- Resume uploaded to your SJU Admission Account.
First-year students can choose to meet one-on-one with a representative from the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Interviews are not required, and you will not be at a disadvantage if you are unable to interview during the application process.
Conditional admission is available for international applicants who may be eligible for admission to Saint Joseph’s University but have not fulfilled the English Language Proficiency requirement.
As an academically bound student, you can apply for conditional admission and take English language coursework at our ELS Language Center on the Saint Joseph’s University campus. You must successfully complete Level 112 to be considered for full admission. Completion of ELS coursework through Level 112 will satisfy Saint Joseph’s University’s proof of English proficiency requirement.
Follow the requirements for International Freshman or International Transfer applicants, above, but submit the following after you complete ELS Level 112.
- Letter of Recommendation: must come from ELS Center Director or advisor
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: ELS Level 112 certificate must be sent from ELS Center Director or advisor.
- Certificate of Finances
Proof of English Language Proficiency
You must submit proof of English Language Proficiency if you are:
- A High School Applicant who attended all or part of high school in a country where English is not the official language.
- A Transfer Applicant who attended university in a country where English is not the official language, or you completed less than 24 credits at a university where English is the official language.
Proof of English Language Proficiency can be demonstrated with one of the following tests or successful completion of ELS Level 112.
- TOEFL: 79 iBT with consistent subsection scores, or 8.5 on TOEFL Essentials
- IELTS: 6.5 with consistent subsection scores
- Duolingo: 105 with consistent subsection scores
- SAT: 500 evidence-based reading and writing score
- ACT: 19 composite score with consistent subsection scores
We do not accept any self-reported test scores to demonstrate English proficiency.
See Conditional Admission if you have not fulfilled the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Resources and Information for International Students
How to Submit Application Materials
Saint Joseph's University
Office of Undergraduate Admission
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
By Fax: 610-660-1314
By Email: email@example.com
Saint Joseph's University School Codes
- College Board: 2801
- ACT: 3684
- FAFSA: 003367
- TOEFL: 2801