Owen W. Gilman, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor, Director of the Writing Studies Program
Merion Hall 115
- A.B., Bowdoin College, 1969
- M.A., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1973
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1979
- Chair, English department, 1997-2006
- Director, Writing Studies Program, 2002-2007, 2021-2022
- Chair, College Council, 1993-94
- Director, Teaching and Learning Center, 1995-97
- Member, MLA, NCTE, College English Association
- Lindback Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1996
- Saint Joseph's University teaching awards, 1985, 1988, 1993, 1996
- Research Award, Saint Joseph's University, 1991
- The Hell of War Comes Home: Imaginative Texts from the Conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Jackson, MS: The University Press of Mississippi, 2018.
- "Tim O'Brien's In the Lake of the Woods: Walden Gone West, Wild, and Wrong." In Critical Insights: Tim O'Brien. Ed. Robert Evans. Ipswich, MA: Salem Press, 2015.
- "Barry Hannah--Yonder Stands Your Orphan." In Still in Print: The Southern Novel Today. Ed. Jan Nordby Gretlund.
Columbia, SC: The University of South Carolina Press, 2010: 135-147.
- "John Fox, Jr." In Southern Writers: A New Biographical Dictionary. Ed. Joseph M. Flora and Amber Vogel. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2006: 141-142,
- "The South," in History and Film, ed. Peter Rollins New York: Columbia University Press, 2004
- "The Spanish-American War," "World War I," "World War II," "Korean War," "Vietnam War," all in Companion to Southern Literature ed. J. Flora and L. MacKethan (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2002)
- "Barry Hannah," in Contemporary Fiction Writers of the South, Bio-Bibliographical Sourcebook, eds. J. Flora and R. Bain (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1993): 213-21
- Vietnam and the Southern Imagination (Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi, 1992)
- "Vietnam and John Winthrop's Vision of Community," in Fourteen Landing Zones: Approaches to Vietnam War Literature, ed. P. Jason (Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1991): 124-40
- "Vietnam, Chaos, and the Dark Art of Improvisation," in Inventing Vietnam: The War in Film and Television, ed. M. Anderegg (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1991): 231-50 ed. [with L. Smith], America Rediscovered: Critical Essays on Literature and Film of the Vietnam War (New York: Garland, 1990)